Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
breezesocks

Proposed Budget for FY22-23 Empty Proposed Budget for FY22-23

Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 am
Thank you for posting the budget for FY21-22.  We realize that a dues/assessment increase is needed and necessary for RR to maintain and move forward; however, in good conscience, we do not feel like we can vote "for" the recommended increases before we see how these funds are going to be spent.  I encourage the BOD to post "projected" budgets for FY22-23 and  FY23-24 on the website as soon as possible indicating to all property owners how we can expect our dues to be used.  Depending on what the budget projections reveal, our minds may change on voting "for" these increases.  Please give serious and immediate consideration to this request.  Thank you.

lgastonlover and Mooseman like this post

erikawildrick1

Proposed Budget for FY22-23 Empty Re: Proposed Budget for FY22-23

Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:22 pm
I, for one, don't care about any "promises" the BOD makes in regard to how the money will be spent, or their "proposed budgets". An increase that large has to be specifically defined and put in as a special assessment, or whatever you call it. The project must have a definition and a time frame. The BOD has rotating members and members can quit and new people can be appointed. There is no guarantee of accountability with the BOD. Its an ever changing governing body. Our dues, on the other hand, will be mandatory and guaranteed to come up every year. That's 1200 smackers whether its a good BOD or a clown show. Every BOD has a different vision. I'm not handing over that much money without real accountability. Its not the amount that's so disagreeable. Its the arbitrary way it can be spent once RR BOD has control of it.That's not professional or even sensible.

Mooseman likes this post

breezesocks

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:22 am
It sounds like you have a great deal of distrust for the current or any future BOD of RR. I cannot be critical of your feelings as I have lived through many boards here and what you say is true. They all seemed to have their own agendas, some of which were good and some which created the problems that currently exist in RR and now must be solved. I asked for a proposed budget to at least get some idea of how the BOD intends to spend these funds this year and next. When I made this request, I did not think it was unreasonable. No one should be asked to pay dues unless they know in advance how the funds are going to be spent. This budget should have been created BEFORE a dues increased was asked for, If they were to give us these proposed budgets and the dues increase was to pass and then they were to pass the proposed budgets, at least we would have "something" for which the BOD had to be accountable for. As it is now, they are asking us to sign a blank check.

I have been giving a lot of thought of what may happen if dues are not increased. The $250 per lot is probably enough to upkeep the security office and gate and some of the bath houses open. It would probably be enough to have some maintenance staff. We could expect when we had some things repaired that we would be charged like for replacing a culvert on or near our property. The pool could be shifted to a "membership only" or private ownership where you paid to use it and it could be open to the public. The electrical service could be taken over by the local EMC and there is probably a company somewhere that would take over supplying us with water and maintaining the sewer system. If this occurred, I think we could all expect to have lower electric bills but much higher bills for water and sewer. The golf course could be sold to an outside company and made private. They could build a Walmart there if they wanted to. Who would care? But of course those in River Ridge who do play golf would have to pay more and they would not like that. If you used the boat ramps or if you had a boat slip, you would pay an extra fee and a higher fee than now. That would not be acceptable to those who do use the slips and the ramps but to everyone else, it would not matter.

The real issue would be the roads (hey, it already is). I can see where Villages would probably have to come together to pay for new gravel and pot hole repair from time to time. Those who want or have asphalt, this would of course be more expensive. You are probably thinking "this is way too far fetched" and maybe it is, but if RR has limited funds, only limited things can be provided. The interesting thing is that in using this system of "pay for what you use." the residents of RR who use the most would pay the most. It would be totally different than now where everyone pays the same and some use the services 10 days a year while others enjoy the services 365 days a year. (I can hear the full time residents groaning now). Like this system or not, it may come into existence sooner than later. And like it or not, you have to admit, it would be a much FAIRER way of property owners paying for what they use annually.

Mooseman likes this post

Katuramusselwhite

Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:53 pm
Why couldn’t they just leave the vote to go up to 850? See what is done with the money then? Then maybe in a couple years you know they are gonna want to raise it again. I agree with one person who says the dues for the people who live here could be different from ones who come up in the summer only on weekends. Does river ridge have our own legal financial advisor or legal certified accountant? Or is it just up to the ladies in the office? I would think a legal accountant or financial advisor would definitely be able to know how to get our non profit status back and have the means to do it correctly. As well as make a budget that everyone can understand and see where all monies go to. Just a thought. If board members want to be respected they should take action that’s going to benefit the property owners instead of just getting frustrated and upset with us property owners who just want answers. There hasn’t been a real document saying in detail what the exact plans are with even the 850 increase. We can’t just take peoples word that it will be used a certain way. I’m sure the property owners would chip in separately to hire a legal accountant to go over our books and help us get non profit status back. I’m guessing we don’t have a cushion bank account that we can refer to to get money out for emergencies? I read in the va laws on poa that we should have a fund like that. Being a board member is like being the president of the us no not everyone is going to like you and u may not like everyone but ur supposed to represent us property owners. Do what’s best for river ridge and show proof of why and what our money is going towards and the copy of the budget in the office is not detailed and very hard to understand

davis oasis, Jua&mike21 and Mooseman like this post

Jua&mike21

Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:34 am
Hi. My boyfriend and I just bought a place here. From what I’ve read and heard, the increase in fees is to fix up the property that has been neglected. We are far from being demanding or snobs but my thought is this. If the same people who have neglected the property are still on the board and have let it get this far without saying ‘ hey we need to do something about this’ a long
time ago, then it would not make sense to throw good money after bad. Like I stated, Mike and I ( Juanita) just bought a place here and by no means want to start trouble, but that’s just common sense to me. I have read also that there should be people involved who can help with the legal and cost aspects of the project. Without a plan, it’s a waste of money. I may be late to the game and I apologize if I don’t have my facts right and I don’t mean to offend anyone. But if the entire community isn’t aware of where the money is going and where for them why raise the dues now? We are also not from Virginia, so maybe there are laws governing these things, but again, common sense, if there’s no preliminary plan in place, that begs the question… where is our money going? At least come up with a proposed plan with room for adjustments and suggestions. The community needs to have a board that is transparent so that we know where the money is going and why. Like I said…. I apologize if I’ve got this all wrong.

Mooseman likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum