Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voting during a pandemic!

+5
TLMilligan
Diane1774
aparashis
George Powell
Sunbunnykim
9 posters
Go down
Sunbunnykim

Voting during a pandemic! Empty Voting during a pandemic!

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 pm
The boards fiduciary duty is to act in the best interest of the entire community. They can not by law put their own wants and needs first. How is asking 1500 property owners to come too a building designed to hold what fifty people in the middle of a pandemic with thousands dying daily around the world and numbers steadily rising? How is this in the best interest of our community? The covenants state article 5 section 5-A that the dues can only be raised at a meeting duly called for that purpose. That they must send out a letter ten days in advance stating the purpose of the meeting and two thirds Of the votes must be yes in order to pass. According to attorney generals offices, the consumer protection agency, DPOR, community interest board and Webster dictionary this gathering is a meeting. Therefore they must adhere to the covenants, by laws, articles of incorporation, state law and federal law. In 1990 they changed the proxy vote to mail in so they must allow mail in voting. And Allow adequate time for those votes to arrive. If this is a problem then we just ask our selves why? Why would a board elected to protect its community refuse to allow mail in voting? Why would they put their community at risk with covid numbers spiking? This would appear to me a violation of the code of ethics which allows property owners after collecting 300 signatures to file a petition to remove board members and vote to bring in outside management to run the place according to our covenants, by laws and article of incorporation along with state and federal laws. So please tell us, your community, why you feel that by breaking our rules, the ones you swore an oath to enforce, are in the best interest of every person in this community.

Rad1lady and KitchenOf2 like this post

George Powell

Voting during a pandemic! Empty Re: Voting during a pandemic!

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:21 am
After reading your post it looks like what I have been posting on here and R.R. websites on Facebook for over two weeks ! This Board is putting what they tell us is best for us ,What it in Reality is what they want !! You havejust a more Business Way of Staying !! This Board Needs To Go ,I Will Say It Again ,This Board Needs To Go !! We Need A Group Standing Outside At The Vote Next Week Collecting Signatures For Their Removal !! George Powell

Sunbunnykim likes this post

aparashis

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:40 am
I agree 100% that the vote needs to be pushed to a later date for multiple reasons: first and foremost so we are not putting our PO's in danger, due to the current rise in COVID cases and trying to get there when we have severe weather headed our way, secondly to make sure that the voting is set up following our covenants so that all PO's that wish to vote have a way to do so, and thirdly so that the BOD can respond to the numerous legitimate questions the PO's have asked about priorities and transparency with where the funds are being used today, and how the new amounts were determined. The BOD has stated that they want the vote to happen now so that people have enough lead time to plan and will be able to pay for an increase in dues. While many believe that is not the sole intent behind why they want to push through with the vote now, let's say it is the true reason, is it really a sound reason? I say it is no it is not! We are intelligent people and don't need to wait to see if the increase will pass to start planning for it. We can all start setting the money aside for the increase, in case there is a Yes vote, then when the vote does take place (perhaps in the Spring), and if we get a No vote and it does not pass, then we all have some extra money saved. So I also ask again, why does the vote need to take place now?

Johnsonmlen likes this post

George Powell

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 am
Like I Have Said Before ,COVID Or No COVID I Will Be There To Vote So I Can Sign This Petition To Rid R.R. Of The Covenants Ignoring Tyrants On The Board !!

Sunbunnykim likes this post

Diane1774

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 pm
This situation is disappointing / frustrating to say the least. We also can’t ignore that several viable suggestions were made that would allow most, if not all, to cast a vote quickly and safely when they held firm on their “no” to proxy / absentee voting (an issue in and of itself) including: 1) virtual voting (at a generous POs expense), 2) delaying the vote, 3) extending the voting over multiple dates, including warmer months.

Anna B, Patshelly1, Lowelh and Johnsonmlen like this post

Sunbunnykim

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:30 pm
You have to wonder why they don’t want the mail in or proxy vote.. board members are the fiduciaries who steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies.  They have three primary legal duties. Duty of care: take care of the community by ensuring prudent use of all assets, including facility, people and good will.  Duty of loyalty: Recognize and disclose conflicts of interest; Make decisions that are in the best interest of the nonprofit corporation; not in the best interest of the individual board member (or any other individual or for-profit entity).
Duty of Obedience: Ensure that the nonprofit obeys applicable laws and regulations; follows its own bylaws; and that the nonprofit adheres to its stated corporate purposes/mission.
Sunbunnykim

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:44 pm
If we want good wholesome family people to move in here why don’t we turn that golf course into several family oriented fun activities such as a walking path, dog park, mini golf, mini RC track, picnic area, large outdoor chess game, etc. these are things that will not continuously cost the community thousands of dollars every year and can be done one project at a time. We can turn the present pro shop into activity center for the children. Open on weekends in the summer and ran by volunteers
TLMilligan

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:21 am
The raising of dues is a process. It begins with a vote of Property Owners. An in-person vote requires a minimum of 455 Property Owners to constitute a quorum. Of the minimum 455 Property Owners voting 2/3 must be a yes. Anything less and the increase does not happen. This means the BOD must present another option. The next option needs to be presented and another vote must be announced. If that option is not approved it all happens again.
Historically, when there is a vote for BOD members there are a little over 450 in-person AND mail in votes received. The changes to the covenants have been out around 9 months and we still have not received 500 votes. Nothing can happen unless we meet the minimum requirement in the Covenants. I have read many times how this BOD will impose user fees or such to get the money WE want. If you read your Covenants you will see that NO increases of ANY kind can be made without the approval of YOU, the Property Owners, of which the BOD are Property Owners also.
We have been getting questioned many times, “When are we going to know what the dues recommendation is?” “Don’t wait until it’s time to pay to tell us, we need to know in time to prepare for it.” As you can see by the beginning of this message, this process can be somewhat lengthy. The in-person vote is authorized by the Covenants and allows us to get a count the same day. Is this the best time to vote?, no but the process needs to begin to ensure completion before the dues are due. Standard Covid protocols will be in use. Social distancing, masks, etc…. Voting will be like the BOD vote. There will be tables outside the Clubhouse with Village signs on the tables. Go to your village table, show ID, receive your ballot, go into Clubhouse and vote. Walk out the door. The Property Owners that have volunteered to assist with the vote will take all ballots to the Kountry Kitchen and begin the count. Property Owners that have volunteered, not BOD members, not the Vision 2027 Committee, Property Owners. I have seen many posts on Facebook questioning the honesty of the count. You are questioning your fellow Property Owners. We all want what’s best for our community. The entire BOD is painted in a very unbecoming light, each and every member volunteered to take their time, to be away from family and friends to attempt to make our community the very best that we can. Can we come up with plans and ideas that make everyone happy? Absolutely not, but yet we try! With the things I’ve seen and read I would sure hope there are many candidates for the BOD each and every year.
I’m just trying to give some insight in the thought process of the BOD. At the request of some Property Owners at the last Board meeting, the BOD voted that no monies would be spent on Vision 2027 until we achieved our tax exempt status back AND we’re awarded grants or low interest loan. The motion received full support from the BOD. I say that because I’m sure not every Property Owner knows this. It’ll be in the minutes when they are published after the next BOD meeting. I’m not going to try to cover everything that I’ve seen written on Facebook. I will say just because it’s written on Facebook does not necessarily make it true.
Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. I genuinely hope this helps to clear up some things, not sure that it will, but I do hope so.
Thanks and have a great day!

Anna B and Rose like this post

George Powell

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:29 am
So from reading this post I am lead to Believe That Board Elections are not counted the same day as in person Election Votes are ,You know as well as the Rest Of R.R. knows how the Voting Should Go and The Board Picking Certain Parts Of The Covenants To Further Their Agenda Is A Slap In The Property Owners Of R.R. Faces !This Has Never Been About The Dues Increase Or The Amount On My Part But About The Board Circumventing The Covenants !!I
The Part On User Fees Being Placed Of The Property Owners Ties The Hands Of The Board Because It Can Only Be Used To Repair Infrastructure And Not Spent In A Hap Hazardly Way As This Dues Increase Is To Be Spent !! George Powell
davis oasis

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am
I will be there also to vote on the 22nd. I cant believe that a increase of 500.00 is needed to keep the park running. I take pride in my place at RR and unfortunately can only get there maybe once a month. $100.00 a month (1200.00 yearly) for dues is almost like paying lot rent at a mobile home park? I live in a small town in NC.The infrastructure there is very old. but as things break they fix them. They don't raise our taxes 75% to replace the entire infrastructure. I am not opposed to an increase but 500.00 is a bit to much during major inflation and a pandemic. I remember a several years back that the board agreed to spend 30,000 dollars on some used Dell computers and approved that purchase. The 5 year plan looks good on paper but as new board members get voted in plans change. My opinion.

davis oasis and Johnsonmlen like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:14 am
Close, it was $40,000.00 for a couple of used "junk" computers that someone probably had stored in their garage. This is not what we were promised though.

See the Board Meeting Minutes for June 12, 2004 under New Business.

Click here to read the June 12, 2004 minutes.
windjammer

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:04 pm
You really shouldn’t speak bad of the dead.
I was Richard’s best friend and know for a fact that everything he installed was brand new. The problems arose because an employee that has since retired and one former board member didn’t want to use the financial software that was installed in the system. I wonder why.
The former board member bought her own “ expert “ in to look at the system and he proceeded to destroy all that Richard did. I wonder why.
Richard offered to bring in an expert at his expense to teach the new software to the employees but was told it wasn’t necessary. Who refuses training on software they have never used unless they never intended to use it in the first place. I wonder.
Richard completed the contract and the finished work was approved by the then President Mr. Toone.
Please get your facts straight before disparaging a dead person.

Anna B likes this post

davis oasis

Voting during a pandemic! Empty Kinda getting Off Topic

Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:07 am
I also knew all of the people you are talking about, and was quit fond of all of them. However, I was just making a point of how the money was spent and what was purchased was never used.? $40,000 is more then most make in a year. As new board members get voted in (and they will.) Plans and ideas change. I propose a dues increase to keep the park running but, investing in the unforeseen future at a price tag that most cant afford during a pandemic and a major inflation rise isn't a good idea. I can see $900.00 but $1200.00 ?? The park ran when 400.00 was going to the electric upgrade. Well that is back in the pot and and few hundred extra. We cant run on that? 900 x 1400 lots $1.26million. My opinion scratch
Anna B

Voting during a pandemic! Empty Thank you Terry

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:21 pm
Terry, thank you for the process explanation. This helps people to understand. This will put alot of people at ease, I believe, to understand the process. It is not an all or nothing , it is a process.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum