Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
breezesocks

New Building Codes for River Ridge Empty New Building Codes for River Ridge

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:24 pm
I recently read the new building codes for River Ridge which I understand follow Mecklenburg County's building codes. The part that reads: "No building can be attached to a camper. Per Mecklenburg Building Codes a structure must be 3 1/2 feet from a camper" has me somewhat confused (which is easy to do). Does this mean that a building attached to a camper (ie. pop-up camper) has to be 3 1/2 feet from the camper or does this apply to all campers (pop-ups) and RVs (travel trailers, motor homes, etc)?

I heard via the grapevine (not this website) about 1-2 years ago that this was the case but since then I have seen multiple buildings erected and attached directly to travel trailers and in some cases built and completely surrounding travel trailers.

Since I am considering erecting a structure which I would like to have attached to two sides of my travel trailer, could you better explain this section of the building code before I submit an application to Mecklenburg County only to have it denied.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience in explaining this.
Connie Suddueth

New Building Codes for River Ridge Empty Re: New Building Codes for River Ridge

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:56 pm
Per Mecklenburg's Building codes nothing can be attached to any type of recreational camper of any kind. This does not apply to a mobile home.  If you build an A frame over a camper and want to build a room it must be 3 1/2 feet off the camper.
The correct process is to fill out a building application  for River Ridge. Once this is completed some one from the ARC committee will review, visit the lot and call if there are questions. Only then will you be able to go to Mecklenburg to obtain a building application from them. I hope this has answered your questions.
I have been approving all building application for over two years and I can rightfully say that nothing has been attached to any recreational camper in this time frame.
breezesocks

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Thank you for your reply. This helps me understand the process and the codes much better before I proceed. I do not get to stay at my place in RR often but like everyone else, when I do get to visit, I ride around in the 'ole golf cart. The last new construction I can remember was in the late Summer/early Fall of 2020 in Hare Village somewhere around lots 106-108. I remember the new travel trailer sat up on the hill on the right (it is a one way street) and they were building a room on the front and attaching it directly to the front of the travel trailer. I remember thinking at the time, "I thought you could not do that." Now I find out I was right. I am going to RR this weekend and if you would like, I will get you the exact lot number. Was this approved? And if someone builds a structure without a RR or County building permit and it is discovered "after" the construction is complete, what are the ramifications?
Connie Suddueth

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:55 pm
You can stop by the office and give the lot number to either of the employees working there. If I see a building or some one tells me about some building with out a permit I put a stop work order on the building and then call Mecklenburg Building Department. They will also stop by and put a stop work order on the building. Property owner is then called and explain the concern and recommend they get a build permit on file with RR right away. If no permit is obtained then the property owner is issued a ticket. When they show up for Tribunal or not they most likely will be fined . They will be given two weeks to obtain an approved permit. If not they may be ask to take down all building that that has been done. If they do not then a fine of $10 per day up to $900 can apply. Fine not paid they lose water and electric service and gate card will be cut off until paid in full with interest added. Fine can continue until either a permit is obtained o rthe building is take down.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum